- Gifts to the Endowment Fund
- Significant Gifts for Special Projects, and
- Gifts in Support of Ongoing Needs
Gifts To The Endowment Fund
Your personal donation to the Orchestra can be put to best use when it is added to the NZSO Foundation’s Endowment Fund. Endowment Fund gifts are invested to generate interest that can be used in support of the NZSO’s current and future needs.
Most current gifts received through our annual giving programme are added to the Endowment Fund, unless we have worked with the donor to direct their funds for a specific area of support. All bequests are added to the Endowment Fund so that they can serve as a lasting tribute to the donor.
The NZSO Foundation makes make regular grants from the Endowment Fund to support the NZSO’s our most important needs:
- Developing a new generation of musicians and music-lovers by funding master classes with visiting guest artists, the NZSO National Youth Orchestra, and activities in the NZSO Education programme
- Providing professional development opportunities for NZSO musicians through study awards, international music scholarships and exchanges to enhance their excellence
- Purchasing new instruments that are held by the NZSO Foundation and provided on loan to NZSO musicians
- Attracting outstanding international conductors and soloists, and helping fund the performance of epic orchestral works
- Funding the commission of new works by New Zealand composers
- Supporting international tour opportunities for the NZSO
In 2013, grants from the Foundation’s endowed assets have supported: local and international professional development opportunities to help NZSO musicians hone their skills; world-class training for exceptional NZ music students through three master classes with guest artists; scholarship awards for talented young musicians participating in the NZSO National Youth Orchestra; a visit by NZSO musicians to share music with students at a special needs school; and day-to-day administrative costs.
Significant Gifts For Special Projects
You can make a real difference in the life of the Orchestra by making a significant gift in support of a special project. Many of the musically rewarding projects, longer-term developments and outreach programmes that the NZSO carries out rely on extra support and funding from generous NZSO Supporters.
Some significant funding needs for your consideration include:
- Commissioning of new works
- Presentation of NZSO and NZSO National Youth Orchestra concerts
- Instruments for use by NZSO musicians
- Educational programmes for young musicians and students
- Support for NZSO Tours
We welcome the chance to speak with you about your interests and goals, and how you can partner with the NZSO to help achieve our vision.
Support For Ongoing NZSO Needs
Many donors have a particular interest at the NZSO and want their gifts to fund these areas. We are glad to speak with you about your goals and how we can use your gift in a way that meets your needs while supporting the NZSO’s mission. Gifts tagged for a specific purpose may be used in the year of your gift or may be added to the Endowment Fund.
Two popular choices with current donors help our Supporters build a unique relationship with musicians:
Fund an NZSO Section or Musician’s Chair
Funding an NZSO Chair – or even an entire section – is a rewarding way to develop a closer relationship with our musicians. It enables you to be connected to one of the positions in the Orchestra that has personal meaning to you; if violin or cello is your passion, or someone dear to you loved a particular instrument, then you can fund that Chair as a special memento. It is a hugely satisfying (and much needed) way of contributing to the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra’s music-making. We invite Supporters to fund an NZSO Orchestra chair beginning at $5,000 per annum or an NZSO Section beginning at $10,000.
Support the NZSO National Youth Orchestra
The NZSO National Youth Orchestra (NYO) helps train our nation’s most accomplished young musicians in a musical residency. Together they hone their skills, learn from the finest musicians, and perform in a professional concert hall. It is a life-changing and challenging learning experience as they develop into our next generation of musicians. When you support the NYO, you know you are helping New Zealand’s best young musicians to pursue their craft regardless of their financial abilities. Gifts of all sizes can be directed to programme, but a gift of $500 or more gives you the opportunity to fund an NYO Chair during the residency. You will be invited to meet the NYO musician selected for your Chair, and you may even choose the instrument you wish to support. It is a wonderful opportunity to follow the growth of an artist.
back to top