NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Award
Now in its eleventh year, the NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Awards is an exciting opportunity for young New Zealand composers to have their work recorded by the NZSO over a three-day residency.
Submitted works are assessed by a panel of industry professionals, and those selected for the awards will be flown to, and accommodated in Wellington for the duration of the recordings and awards. The students selected are given the opportunity to receive mentoring from an established New Zealand composer and will also participate in industry seminars and instrument workshops. The best overall composition will win the NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Award. The composer receives a cash award of $750.
Congratulations to the selected participants in the 2015 TODD Corporation Young Composers Award:
Oliver Francis Huang-Hsu
Sam van Betuw
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Entrants must be a New Zealand resident or citizen
- Composers must be 25 years of age or younger as of 3 December 2015
- Maximum duration of 5 minutes
- Work to be for full symphony orchestra without soloists
- Maximum instrumentation is as follows: 3333 4331 timpani +2 percussion harp strings (including the following woodwind auxiliary instruments: piccolo, cor anglais, bass clarinet and contrabassoon).
- One entry per person
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed application form, which can be downloaded here. All entries must be submitted as digital PDFs.
- Applications should also be accompanied by a short composer biography, as well as programme notes for the work. All of this information should be provided in the score file.
- A complete and accurate instrumentation listing must be provided at the beginning of the score as well as the duration.
- Composers should note that if used, any non-standard items such as string practice mutes will need to be provided by the composer.
- NZSO reserve the right to ask composers to revisit any composition that includes extended techniques that may damage instruments.
- Revisions to the submitted score won’t be accepted.
|Mon 4 May 2015||Deadline for applications|
|Mon 1 June 2015||Applicants informed of panels decision|
|Mon 29 June 2015||Deadline for providing parts to the Library|
|Tue 1 to Thur 3 December||Residency in Wellington|
back to top