TODD CORPORATION YOUNG COMPOSERS AWARD
Now in its 15th year, the NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Awards is an exciting opportunity for young New Zealand composers to have their work recorded by the NZSO. This year the selected young composers will have an amazing opportunity to work with our Associate Conductor & players from the NZSO.
Submitted compositions will be assessed by a panel of industry professionals, and those selected for the awards will be flown to, and accommodated in Wellington for the duration of the recordings and awards. Separate workshops will be presented, in preparation of the NZSO recording workshop on 27 & 28 November. The best overall composition will win the NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Award including a cash award worth $750.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Entrants must be a New Zealand resident or citizen
- Composers must be 25 years of age or younger as of 1 July 2019
- One entry per person.
- Complete an online application form.
- Composition entries are to be submitted as digital PDFs and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your entry file is larger than 10MB you will need to use a file sharing application such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Applications need to include a short composer biography, as well as programme notes for the work. This information may be included in the same file as the score.
- Maximum duration of 5 minutes
- Work to be for full symphony orchestra without soloists
- Maximum instrumentation is as follows: 3333 4331 timpani +2 percussion harp strings (including the following woodwind auxiliary instruments: piccolo, cor anglais, bass clarinet and contrabassoon).
- A complete and accurate instrumentation listing must be provided at the beginning of the score as well as the duration.
Additional Composer Information:
- NZSO reserve the right to ask composers to revisit any composition that includes extended techniques that may damage instruments.
- Revisions to the submitted score won’t be accepted.
- Any non-standard items such as string practice mutes will need to be provided by the composer.
IMPORTANT DATES 2019
||Deadline for applications and scores
||NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Award participants announced
||Workshops with composer mentor
||Deadline to provide scores and parts to NZSO Library
||NZSO residency, recording session and award ceremony in Wellington