TODD YOUNG COMPOSERS AWARD
Now in its 17th year, the NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Award is a unique opportunity for young New Zealand composers to have their compositions workshopped and performed by the NZSO, as well as recorded by RNZ Concert.
An expert composer-mentor is selected to mentor up to 8 young composers through the process to help ensure the highest level of success. The piece of music will be performed by the NZSO and led by conductor Hamish McKeich, who has a speciality and passion for contemporary and experimental music.
If selected, those who live outside of Wellington will have flights and accommodation provided for so that they may attend the award ceremony on November 30 at the Michael Fowler Centre in Wellington.
The winner will receive the NZSO Todd Corporation Young Composers Award and a cash prize of $750.
The Orchestra’s Choice Award is given to the composer with the most votes from NZSO players.
- Entrants must be a New Zealand Citizen
- Composers must be 25 years of age or younger as of 10 June 2022
- One entry per person
- Please apply by completing the application form here:
Todd Corporation Young Composers Award Application Form
- We require the following documents and files for your application:
- PDF score of your composition (with your name on the score)
- PDF score of your composition WITHOUT your name on the score (this is to keep the selection process anonymous)
- Programme notes for your composition
- Composer biography
- Audio file of your composition (midi file is fine)
- Maximum duration of 5 minutes
- Work to be for full symphony orchestra without soloists, amplification or electronic elements
- Maximum instrumentation is as follows: 3 flutes, 3 oboes, 3 clarinets, 3 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 tuba, 1 timpani +2 percussion, harp and strings (including the following woodwind auxiliary instruments: piccolo, alto flute, bass flute, cor anglais, bass clarinet, Eb Clarinet and contrabassoon)
- A complete and accurate instrumentation listing must be provided at the beginning of the score as well as the duration of the work
Additional Composer Information
- NZSO reserve the right to ask composers to revisit any composition that includes extended techniques that may damage instruments
- Revisions to the score and parts other than those requested by the NZSO library will not be accepted after 10 August
- Any non-standard items such as string practise mutes must be provided by the composer
Important Dates & Useful Documents 2022
10 June Deadline for applications and scores
Download: Score and Parts Preparation Guidelines
Download: Writing for Harp in Orchestra
Photo: NZSO Todd Young Composers Awards 2021. Left to right: Overall winner Micah Thompson, Orchestra's Choice winner Jack Bewley Photo: Latitude Creative